T: 0141 634 0313  
Email: mail@castlemilklawcentre.co.uk

Universal Credit

Castlemilk Law & Money Advice Centre has a dedicated Universal Credit advisor who can assist clients to apply for Universal Credit online.

Universal Credit is a social security payment for people in or out of work. It replaces benefits such as Jobseeker's Allowance, Housing Benefit and Tax Credits. These are now referred to as legacy benefits. Universal Credit is made up of a standard allowance, and in some cases you can claim for additional elements. These include, for example, child element, childcare element and certain housing costs.

Universal Credit can help if you are in low-paid employment. It can vary if your hours of work change.

The Law Centre can assist clients who need to apply for Universal Credit. Our advisors can assist you to maximise your award.  It is important to apply for Universal Credit as soon as possible. Normally you have to wait up to five weeks before your first payment, but we can also assist you in applying for an advance. Any advance payment is deducted from future payments.

Universal Credit is a Complicated Benefit

If you don't agree with a decision by the Department of Work & Pension on your Universal Credit, the Law Centre can ask for a review and then appeal to a tribunal, if appropriate. It is important to get advice and representation to do this. A medical report from a consultant can be very helpful if you are unfit for work or have disabilities and we can help with this.

If you have limited computer skills and worried about using a computer to make your claim we can assist you to apply online.  It is important to finish the online application as your claim will not start until your claim is submitted. We can also help you get all the necessary paperwork you need before sending away your form in order to avoid any unnecessary delays.

Please note that in addition to your Universal Credit application we can also assist you in applying forCouncil Tax reduction. It is a separate application to your local council. This will help you reduce you annual council tax bill if you are unemployed or on a low income.

Castlemilk Law Centre in the South East Glasgow providing free legal advice and representation to local people.  

Castlemilk Law and Money Advice Centre
T: 0141 634 0313
Toryglen Law and Money Advice Centre
T: 0141 647 4333
Gorbals Law and Money Advice Centre
T: 0141 418 1010
Castlemilk Citizens Advice Bureau
T: 0141 634 0338